Name: Beth (32) & John (35)
OCCUPATION: Author & Financial Consultant
HOMETOWN: New York City
MET: while volunteering with the Peace Corps.
TOGETHER: 7 years married, polyamorous since the beginning
FORMAL COMMITMENTS (Spiritual, Financial, or Legal): legally married, finances shared, one kid (Emma, 3), two cats (Prince and Ivan)
WHY DID BETH & JOHN WANT COACHING?
IN THEIR WORDS:
Beth: “We’ve seen couples therapists and never lasted more than a session or two. They all seem to think polyamory is the cause of all our issues. All we need it a little communication skills training here or there.”
John: “Sometimes we don’t see eye to eye and we get stuck in old patterns. We say a marriage therapist but she just wanted us to stop seeing other people and barely talked about the things we brought up. We wanted something change-focused that wouldn’t shame our lifestyle.”
MY JOURNEY COACHING BETH & JOHN
Beth and John are a great example of healthy polyamory so I knew I wanted to include them in these case studies right away. I picked them for a case study for these specific reasons:
I work with lots of clients brand-new to non-monogamy who want to hear examples of couples who make it work.
- It is not uncommon at all for healthy poly folks to experience unintentional shame from the helping professionals they try to hire.
- Even healthy couples need a communication tune-up every once in a while.
Hi! I'm glad you're reading. Let me know if I can help you:
- reconnect with passion & desire in long-term partnerships
- rebuild trust after infidelity or dishonesty
- move beyond jealousy, fear, and insecurity
- manage intense emotions that arise in conflicts
- resolve sexual dysfunction & disconnect
- change communication & codependent patterns
- open your relationship & practice polyamory with integrity
I lead couples retreats, host workshops, and see private clients online (and in Portland, OR).
Call me for a free consultation to rethink the way you do relationships.
Gina Senarighi, MS, MA, CPC is a communication consultant, sexuality counselor and certified relationship coach specializing in polyamory, open relationships, jealousy, and infidelity.